Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Latest Cancer News

Had an appointment today to figure out what the next steps are for treatment and thought I'd update everyone with what's going on. As you may or may not know, my oncologist decided to not do the last two chemo treatments. The reasoning behind this is that the tumor levels in my bloodwork have moved to normal levels. Essentially, I don't have cancer anymore, but there are likely still some mass left of the tumors in my lungs. So the next step is to have a ct scan done around the 1st of November (that gives the chemo in my bloodstream a month to continue working and get on out). After that, I will either have surgery to remove whats left of the tumors or they will have broken up to the point that it would be considered in remission and then I'd just have to monitor it with scans every 3 months for about the next year or so.

As far as the surgery goes, it isn't super major surgery, but it does involve going into my lungs, so it isn't like minor knee surgery or something. I'm not sure exactly what it does involve, but rest assured I'll keep you in the loop as everything moves along and I find out what's going on.

This leads to another development, some of which I'm not sure of, but many of you have asked about this blog now that the majority of my treatments are over. I had never really thought about it one way or another being as given my current situation, I had/have a tendency to not think about the future or about anything going on. I'd call it a mild form of denial, but whatever you wanna call it, healthy or not, it was my way of coping. Now that everything is looking much, much better I can think of what to do with it. I went back through and read the majority of my blogs (something I had yet to do before last night). What I discovered is that I've merely been writing about observations in my world. Just because my world is changing (You may not believe this, but there is a part of me that will miss going to chemo. Lord knows it isn't for treatment, but rather for the fact that I never knew what I'd see in there every day) doesn't mean that I won't have equally funny observations. So, I'll be continuing the blog, but it will probably be about whatever randomness I see from day to day. Occasionally, I'll probably go into Wal Mart and ride their power scooters for reactions as well and because a part of me really wants to do that. Keep reading for the updates if you'd like, if not, then thanks for reading during this crazy time of my life. I'll keep you updated as the next couple months go by. 2011 has been a shitty year, so let's hope 2012 will be better!

2 comments: