Friday, September 30, 2011

Update time

I had just noticed as I posted some other stuff that I haven't given an update in awhile. Plus, I only have 2 more treatments after today, so its a good time to bring everyone up to speed. It has been 3 months since I found out I had cancer today. That's weird to think about sometimes, and it doesn't always seem like its been that long as chemo has flown by for the most part. I got my latest blood work back on Tuesday and it was good news across the board. The tumor markers were back down to the levels you would see in a normal person. It doesn't necessarily mean that I don't have cancer anymore, but it does mean that my outlook is extremely good. As for what happens next, we shall see. My options are one of three: 1) Radiation to eliminate whats left of the tumors in my lungs and lymph nodes. 2) surgery to remove them or 3) do nothing and keep everything under close observation. The way my doctor explained it is that the tumors are dead and no longer growing, but due to their initial size, their would always be some critical mass left over. These are basically dead cancer cells just hanging out in my lungs. There's no guarantee they will start growing again, but there's no guarantee to the contrary either. The family is leaning towards surgery, which I admit scared the shit out of me at first (simply because it involves cutting lungs open and I'm naturally not a fan of that...) but now the idea has grown on me a bit. If for no other reason than, it ensures that everything is gone. Radiation isn't too high on my list because I don't like the idea of extending the treatment and since I've never had the urge to stick my head into a microwave, i don't see how I'd possibly enjoy having beams of it shot into my chest and stomach (although I am curious if they can cook a hot pocket any quicker with it.) As for observation, Its easier, but there's always the chance it could come back and I don't really want to chance that. I mean don't get me wrong, this whole cancer thing has really been a blast and all, but...

I don't know what will happen as it all pertains to my last ct scan which I'll get in about another month. Until then I'll just finish my treatment and wait patiently for it. We can all rest easy knowing now that the prognosis has been great and I'm sure good news will follow. I can't tell you all enough how much the support has meant to me. It truly lets you know that people care about you.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds positive!! Sending happy thoughts your and Susan's way!!

    ReplyDelete